May 7th to the 10th
On Sunday we went to the May Day Parade and Festival in Powderhorn Park. The festival began as a pagan celebration thirty-two years ago, then was co-opted by the trade unions, then by the environmentalists. Now May Day is a big, eclectic, all-encompassing fiesta of freaks, hippies, punks, politicians, families, yuppies, ethnic groups and anyone else wanting to participate. Every year, In the Heart of the Beast Puppet Theatre decides on the theme, creates floats and puppets for the parade, and creates an original theatrical piece in Powderhorn Park, culminating in the finale of red-colored boats delivering The Sun, a three-story tall puppet, across the lake, signifying its resurrection and approval of Spring, and the Earth and all of us watching the spectacle. I’ve never seen that many people at a street festival before, and everyone was so damn HAPPY to be there! I swear, people cheered like mad when the Sun “rose” on stage. The people-watching was fabulous, but by the end of the day, I was beat.
Monday was the final critique for sculpture. Everyone, including myself, was so over the class, that no one really had anything good to say. I felt happy that I wouldn’t have to suffer through another project, or hear a few of the dolts in class ramble on about their lame ass creation. I need higher level art classes. These beginning ones are for the birds. I registered for ceramics for both the summer and fall. I have to take them in a certain order, so I have to start with Beginning, then move on to wheel-throwing, then on to hand-building before I can even take Intermediate ceramics (hopefully by next fall, if I’m still here.)
Yesterday, I spent the entire day at a conference for work. It was unlike any conference I’ve ever gone to, with sessions completely unrelated to my job. The keynote speaker discussed the university’s special healing and spirituality school. Then I learned about nutrition and vitality. Then we ate lunch. The afternoon session was all about Tibetan medicine and healing, then one of the historical interpreters from the historical society discussed how he became a working artist and the process of making a living doing what he loves. It was great!
Today it’s back to work…and the big truck of more obsolete laws (now I’m on Minnesota…mostly departmental reports and statistics about state taxes and legislative policies. I’m enjoying such riveting titles as Possible Improvements in the Operation of State Government : Ten Year Analysis of State Expenditures issued by the Minnesota Institute of Governmental Research.” Whoo hoo!)
It’s another busy week and weekend…book club, pottery tours, moving parties, Mother’s Day barbeques, errands and cleaning.
Jeremy is still working his two part-time temp jobs and has an interview at a public library in a week. Cross your fingers that he gets it so he can work there when the Rainbow gig is over.
Otherwise, we’re doing just fine. More soon…..

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home