BrainDump

Monday, August 29, 2005

Here's a blog I meant to post over a week ago now.

It's been a rough week at the library. School started on Monday, and for the past week, hundreds of kids have come in, looking for books from their summer reading lists at the last possible minute. It drives me crazy. Last weekend was very hard. I repeated this same conversation at least seven times, with these exact words:
Kid/Parent: Can I get the book Slam? (A book about some black kid playing basketball...chosen because it was the shortest book on the list.)
Me: I'm sorry. That book is completely checked out and there are 21 people on the waiting list. Would you like to be added to the list?
Them: Can I drive to the x branch to pick it up? (The branch closest to the Mall of Georgia.)
Me: Again, every single copy in the entire system is checked out and then there are 21 additional people waiting for a copy when a copy is returned. Would you like to be added to the waiting list?
Them: (pissed off, although it's their own damn fault) No. (walks away, mumbling)

Okay, my mom would have kicked my ass if I had waited until the last minute to do anything, and then expected her to drive all over the county to pick it up at some other library. These parents! They drive me nuts!!

Then one woman comes up to the desk. "This Slam book, do you have Cliff Notes on it?" I just about burst out laughing. Right, there are Cliff Notes for every crappy paperback ever written. "Im sorry ma'am. Cliff Notes are usually only for classics. This is just a fiction paperback." Good lord.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home