Oh, I’m a moron. I had lunch with my former boss today and picked a place that was nearby (exactly three miles each way) so that I could walk there and back. We finished, and she and Dave offered me a ride home. Feeling virtuous, I declined and thought I could beat the rain home despite having forgotten my umbrella in the car. (Jeremy used the car for work today.) Well, I got about halfway there…just shy of North Druid Hills, when it started pouring. Quickly I was completely drenched. As I neared the light at North Druid, this guy rolls down his window. “HEY! Come over here!” “Really?” I shouted. “Yeah.” I’ve never accepted a ride from a stranger, and my parents would nag me until the cows came home about being so reckless, but dammit, it felt like a torrential downpour. He was a young, Asian guy who looked pretty harmless, so I just took it as some random kindness from a stranger and ran across the street to his car.
I got in, thanked him profusely, and directed him the last mile and a half to North Decatur. He assumed I was going to work, and rather than admitting that I wasn’t actually going to work, I was just an idiot walking in the rain for three miles, I played along. He dropped me at the co-op across the street from my house, I thanked him again and apologized for getting his car wet. He told me to be careful, and off he went. I walked into Rainbow, looked around to see if there was anything we needed, froze in the air-conditioning, and ran the last two blocks home. It's nice that there are still people in the world who are willing to pick up a strange, dripping-wet girl and give her a ride home without kidnapping or hurting her.
Jeremy got home and scolded me for sitting in wet clothes at the computer. He just dried my hair while I was typing. What a sweet guy.
Well, so much for gardening today.
Instead I did laundry, Jeremy and I started a really fricking hard puzzle, watched half of a really long and mondo-bizarro Swedeish movie, snacked, laid around and read magazines. I could get used to this. Pity that I have to go back to work tomorrow. Sigh.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home