BrainDump

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Here's one more blog from last week:
Right now Im working on obsolete law at work, particularly the U.S constitutions. I’ve been moving from state to state, and cataloging just the constitutions. The early versions—some dating back as far as the 1860’s, practically crumble in my hands as I flip through them. (Most books before 1870 are housed in the rare books room. Sometimes titles slip through the cracks.) Right now Im on Massachusetts. When I’ve finished Wyoming, I’ll start all over again, this time with the constitutional conventions, then the school laws in each state. (Im actually up to Virginia now.)
It becomes a bit tedious, cataloging basically the same thing over and over. There are moments when I want to scream.
Im also finishing a project of about 2000 books donated by a lawyer. He also donated money to create a reading nook on the 2nd floor. Basically any fiction book that revolved around a judge, lawyer or court, he bought, read, and now gave to us. Most of it is pretty predictable--John Grisham sort of stuff. However he's got some older stuff that gets pretty interesting. He meticulously wrote where and when he read each book. He also had a crush on Greta Garbo and glued pictures of her on the back covers. He also glued book reviews, author bios and obituaries, and sometimes an occasional stamp. After staring at dry law books all day, Im relieved to have a break with some fiction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home