From December 20th
Lately I’ve been noticing the pajama-bottom-as-real-clothes phenomena. It is finals week here at the U, and I am at the library, so I could easily be tempted to think it is merely a university fashion statement. (I can’t tell you how many people wore pajamas at the public library.) However, I’ve seen people at Target, the grocery store, the gas station and just walking around in pajama bottoms that cannot be disguised as anything other than what they are. No subtly here…we’ve got giant sleeping cows or bright yellow Z’s. Are people too busy to dress properly? Did they wake up late? When did they stop caring?
(I must admit: There were two long periods of my life when I too succumbed to the heady pull of the pajama bottom. Once was in early college, when I was really obese and had a hard time finding clothes that fit—no trendy clothes for fat people in 1993! The other was when I was working at Alzheimer’s Hell and my soul had become so crushed and bitter that I did not have the energy to wear pants without drawstring or elastic waistbands. Since then, I pride myself on wearing pants with zippers and buttons and have long given away my collection of pseudo-dresspants-that-were-really-pajama-bottoms.
Come on, people! Try harder!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home