Atlanta flew by like a giant whirlwind. It was the first time we'd been back since moving away, and we had a long list of people to see, places to go and things to visit. Big thanks to Alicia for letting us stay at her place (and giving up her bed!) and for taking me to kickboxing classes. Thanks to everyone who hung out with us, treated us to meals, or called to say hi. I miss you guys.
It felt strange to drive around Atlanta as a visitor. Every time before, even though I may have been living somewhere else, I knew I was going back home to Atlanta. Now home is Minneapolis, and Atlanta kept flipping from totally familiar to tourist destination. I'm grateful that some places stayed the same (Dekalb Farmer's Market, the Brickstore) and that new places popped up (this great Vietnamese fast food place on Buford Highway that had homemade tofu with mushrooms or lemongrass or chiles mixed in, and colored rice flavored with green tea or coconut with sugar and salt). I like Atlanta, but even over the course of five days, I felt the grumpy, aggressive parts of me returning. I changed when I lived there.
When we got back, Squeak was a freak parade. He was so pissed that we'd been gone so long. Since then, he's been a big loud needy donkey (although he's hiding right now because of the rain.)
Life is back to normal. Summer is ending. I got an A- in my ceramics class (what was that damn minus for? I worked my ass off!). I'm hiring two new student workers in my department. Jeremy is writing, starting a new part time job this week, and starting teaching in three weeks. It's raining. We're going camping twice in August, and I'm so damn excited.
I'm going to post a bunch of Atlanta photos now...enjoy!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home