It is done
After two and a half weeks of being on strike, the union tentatively settled with the university on Friday. Not once did the university negotiate in good faith---not once did they ever change their original offer in the two and a half weeks. We lost thirteen work days' worth of wages, our vacation and sick time for 1 1/2 pay periods for 2.25% each year (2.5% for the health care workers.) Even the neutral negotiator was entirely frustrated with the university, slamming doors and yelling when the U's committee would not even consider the multiple versions of a contract that the union brought to the table.
I never imagined the severe emotional, physical and mental costs of being on strike. I learned a lot, about myself and other people, about big business and the rich bastards who run them, about my city and its community. It was all valuable, and given the choice again, I probably still would have voted to strike. (I just would have found a temp job much, MUCH sooner.)
We go back to work tomorrow, and that is just so fucking weird. Half of my co-workers never joined the picket lines for even one day. How do I talk to them without vitrol and tears? How do I even feel about the whole thing? I just don't even know. I'm tired and relieved and pissed and frustrated. I'll need help to find a way to fuel those feelings into something productive instead of just the inward cycle of angst. Argh. Argh. Argh.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home