BrainDump

Friday, November 12, 2004

Below is the blog I wrote on my other website the day after elections. It reflected the truth as seen by me, and a lot of the people I know and love. I felt betrayed by most of the country and really didnt understand how so many people could vote for Bush when there's such overwhelming proof of what a fascist he is. Anyway, that's not the point. The point is, I had feelings and I expressed them.
That night, when I was at work, my father called. Apparently my sister or my aunt had called my parents and tattled on me. Then my dad called to lecture me on how I better knock that shit off and how I shouldnt insult the president and how the FBI is going to arrest me and how there's no need for me to be a radical. (Both he and my sister voted for Bush.) Thankfully I wasnt there, but J told me about it on the cell phone. He replied that frankly, he agreed with me and I could feel whatever way I wanted to about the president. Dad urged him to tell me to tame it down, but I think he knew that it was a losing battle with us "damn liberal communists."
Anyway, I was PISSED off all the way home. I mean, come on! Im a thirty year old ADULT who has every right (as defined by the Constitution) to say whatever the fuck I want to say. If someone doesn't like what I write, they don't have to read it!
I had to ignore my family for about three days before the rage subsided. Even now, in order for me to be civil and not freak out, I cant even mention the incident. Originally I was going to write a smart ass remark on the other blog about how "some people" punish me for my opinions and how I can't even be the real Me without fear of some righteous wrath. But that wouldn't solve anything. They won't change. They'll only yell at me for that, too. So instead, I just got a new blog. (Can you tell I'm still angry?)
This one goes out to all the people who really know me and like me for my lippy self. If you're reading this, I know that I don't have to censor myself with you. Even if we don't agree on the same issues, we can at least discuss them. You don't hate me because I'm different than you or ignore huge chunks of my life. (Sigh.)
This time around, I can better control who reads my blog and who even knows it's there in the first place. I wont be posting much on the old non-threatening, watered-down blogger. All the good stuff will be over here anyway.
Let me know if you have any feedback. More soon.
___________________________________
So many of the people I know have spent the last day and a half sobbing uncontrollably, getting really pissed off, or growing even more bitter at a government that just sucks. Im stunned that so many people could possibly, in good conscience, vote for a lying, theiving, immoral, hypocritical, smug little monkey puppet. There can't be so many evil or stupid people. There can't be so many people who want to live in chaos, who want more poor people in the streets, who want a shitty education system and more layoffs and no health insurance, who want to screw themselves and the rest of the country. I fundamentally do not understand. The only thing I can figure is that most people are so overwhelmed in their daily lives, that they don't have time to get a broad range of information about all of the issues. They can only focus on one single issue and just disregard all the rest. Focus on being a Christian, or being anti-choice, or fighting those terrorists, and forget about women's rights or the environment or privacy rights or equal rights or the economy or the fact that being humane and intelligent and fair is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing. This time around the irony just kills me. All of this morality bullshit. Its not okay for two people to love each other, want to be able to visit each other in the hospital, or pass on their estates when they die, or share custody of children or get health care through their partner's jobs if they're the same sex. They shouldn't have any rights at all. That's immoral. But its totally fine to send thousands and thousands of soldiers over to Iraq to kill all the Muslims and be killed themselves so that the president and his rich oil friends can get even richer. That's totally fine. So here we are. Another four years of this. We're going to get bombed by a country that we've pissed off because arrogant America has no tact. We're going to turn into the next Argentina, a country we helped to push into disorder. Roe vs. Wade is going to be reversed and women can kiss their right to control their own bodies goodbye. We're going to get three or four more Supreme Court Justices that will be setting their own ultra-conservative policies until they die or retire. There will be no more separation between church and state, one of the founding principles of this country. Welcome to America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home